Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Good First Day


We kicked off our day right - at the Nairobi Java House - with Jennifer, Johnny and little Jonathan (Scott had the knack with Jonathan)! The coffee is very good here! Then, we spent a large part of the day running errands today, unusual compared to our last visit. We had to go and get supplies for lunches for the next few days as well as supplies for our BBQ with the kids tomorrow. Then on to the Sportsview to drop off our bags.

We finally made it out to HOREC in the late afternoon. Oh, it was sooooo great to see these kids again. I was surprised that they remembered me. Willy came running up to me and I picked him up and swung him in the air in a big hug. I am unable to express the feelings that overwhelmed me today. Beverlyne, beautiful Beverlyne, said to me "Thank you for coming back." I just started to cry. This is the little, 11-year old girl I dream so often about. I dream of her in my house, in my backyard, in my daily life. I so desperately wish I could take her home with me.


We were greeted by the kids' beautiful voices and treated to a wonderful performance of songs, dance and drums. I honestly did not think they could sound any better than they did last November, but they did. These kids are amazing! They know so many songs by heart and are in such tune with each other. What a blessing to hear their beautiful voices! I said it last time and I'll say it again - I could listen to them every day for the rest of my life. It would be such a beautiful way to start the day! I wish everyone could be treated to this.


HOREC looks so different since last November. The tile in the dining room that our team raised funds to build was completed. The room looked very lived in, with artwork on the walls and furniture in the room. It was so great to see that they are using and enjoying this building. They are in the process of adding a kitchen on to the dining room. The small kitchen that we had built last time will be used for storage instead. The new kitchen is a bit bigger and will allow for more room for counters and a sink, with the ultimate goal of them having running water/indoor plumbing. They have a water filtration system that will be installed to provide clean water for the kids once the kitchen is finished. They have purchased additional land on which they have built a chicken coop, are having a new septic tank put in and recently found out from the Durango team, headed up by Marty, that they will receive funding for a new boys dorm. There was corn growing high, as well. Probably the biggest difference for me, though, was the big wall surrounding the "compound," a necessity after last year's incident (refer to last year's blog). All of the staff, except Christine, are new and they have 5 new kids - Mercy, Pinky, Obama, Jane and Jennifer.

As for the incident last year, that was really hard on me and some others on the team. We felt a little guilty, that maybe our activities in early November had caused HOREC to be vulnerable. I think I needed to go on this trip in some ways to see that the kids were okay. I am pleased to report to those who joined me in November that they really do seem to be okay. I think having a social worker on site to help them through everything has been very good for them.

All in all, a good day! I don't think any of us can wait until tomorrow to return to HOREC! Tomorrow's plan is to have the kids join us for church at Spring Valley and then go out to HOREC for a BBQ and fun time with the kids. There are a lot more hugs to give out tomorrow!

Bwana Asifiwe! La la Salama!

No comments:

Post a Comment