Friday, October 1, 2010

Spring Valley

We went to Spring Valley on Thursday. We spent time learning more about Spring Valley and delivered food packages and prayed with some of the families there.

I remembered many of the teachers and people there from last November. Little John, the little boy with the bad foot, followed us around from school room to school room. He is doing so good and was so happy and excited while we were there. (Larry and Joe, I do you see him in the picture above? I thought you might enjoy as I know you both spent some time with him last year.)

Gerry gave the kids in STD8 (basically, our 8th grade) a pep talk. They take exams in November that are critical to determining their futures in high school.

We learned how Spring Valley got its name. Pastor Stanley told us that the Parklands Church in Spring Valley, a wealthier area of Nairobi, started the church in the Spring Valley slum area. When they built a new church, Parklands used the supplies from the old church to build the church in the Spring Valley slum area. So, the new church ended up being called "Spring Valley."

Pastor Stanley and Alice continue to do amazing work there. The testimonies we heard were so encouraging. They are trying to raise funds to build a new building that would house offices, a library, medical clinic, study hall and a dorm for high-risk girls. Older girls are often sexually abused in Kenya, even by male family members. Spring Valley recently had their first successful prosecution of sexual abuse.

It was much easier to visit Spring Valley this year. I don't know if it was because my heart was much better prepared for what I would see or if God answered my prayers and allowed me to focus on the positives this time around. The words of Richard Stearns in his book, A Hole in the Gospel, described how I felt during last year's visit to Spring Valley and I was very apprehensive to return again this year:

"I didn't want to be there. I wasn't supposed to be there, so far out of my comfort zone -- not in that place where orphaned children live by themselves in their agony. There poverty, disease and squalor had eyes and faces that stared back, and I had to see and smell and touch the pain of the poor."

But, this year I saw homes with love (not homes without furniture, light or beds, I saw children smiling and laughing, I saw children eating and learning, I saw a community working together. I thank God for helping me to see the positives this time around. It doesn't take away the need for me to help, but it helps me to not feel so helpless.

After Spring Valley, we spent a couple hours out at HOREC. Gerry and I read the younger kids the letters from their American friends. What a great way to end the day! Those kids always fill my heart with such love.

I will post videos on You Tube later, so some of you can see the kids receiving your letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment